The most common method of entry for burglars in the Sheffield areas is lock snapping. Lock snapping is the process of snapping a cylinder lock in half which allows the intruder to quickly gain access to your property and without even making much more noise than using a key. Sheffield has recently seen an increase in burglaries where criminals are snapping off uPVC door locks to quickly enter the property, steal what they can and quickly leave the property undetected.
We are getting more and more burglary damage calls due to this common method of entry and unfortunately, we find ourselves having to emotionally console distressed customers who are traumatised by the fact that someone else has been in their house and stolen their property.
Thankfully there is a way to prevent burglars from entering your property by snapping the lock so you do not have to become another burglary statistic in Sheffield and that is to have snap-safe locks fitted to your home or business.
Snap-Safe locks are specifically designed to prevent burglars from gaining access to your home or business by snapping the cylinder in your door. When a burglar attempts to snap a snap-safe lock the lock simple snaps in half and does not allow the burglar to removal the rest of the lock to gain access to your property.
As if being burgled isn’t bad enough, if the locks on your property were not to British Standard, BS3621 and insurance approved there is a good chance that if you try to make a claim against your home insurance for damage to your property and for loss of goods, your insurance company will not pay out. Insurance approved locks are required on the property if you want to make a claim, something that not many people know.
Here at G & M Locksmiths in Sheffield we specialise in the installation of insurance approved, snap-safe locks and have fitted thousands in the Sheffield areas for both domestic and commercial clients. We use the best high security snap-safe locks on the market, Ultion Locks.
If you are worried that you may be vulnerable to having your locks snapped, then contact G & M Locksmiths in Sheffield for a free home security check where we can advise you on how you can better secure your home or business.
Home Security From Your Local Sheffield Locksmith
Here at G&M Locksmiths Sheffield we specialise in keeping your home safe and secure. Here are a few points to consider when it comes to home security in Sheffield.
- Front Door Locks – Ensuring your front door locks are high security is essential, particularly if you have a UPVC door where the lock can be easily snapped. We provide a range of insurance approved, snap-safe locks in and around the Sheffield area. Lock snapping is becoming the most common method of entry for burglars who are looking for a quick entry into your home. A lock can be snapped and entry be gained within 10 seconds if you do not have the right secure lock on your front door. We can supply high security, snap-safe locks and high security sash locks throughout Sheffield.
- Insurance Approved Locks – If you have home insurance it is important that you have your locks upgraded to insurance approved locks. We have found that many people with home insurance do not have the standard of locks fitted to their property that they would need if they had to make a claim in the event of a burglary. If you become a victim of burglary, without insurance approved locks, your insurance company will not pay out on a claim for either damage to the property or for any loss of goods. Contact G&M Locksmiths Sheffield today for a free home security check to establish whether your locks are insurance approved. We have a range of high security locks available to suit all budgets and door types. Some insurance approved lock types are:
- (British Standard) BS3621 – This standard covers locks such as mortise locks and also cylinder rim locks that use a key on both sides of the lock. This standard states that the lock is safe from potential intruders unless they have possession of a key.
- (British Standard) BS8631 – This standard covers all locks that need a key to be opened from the outside, but can be opened from the inside without a key for a example a thumb turn lock. These sorts of locks are most commonly used in flats and high rise apartment buildings so make sure that escape from the property is easy in the case of a fire or emergency.
- (British Standard) BS10621 – This standard covers doors that you can only lock from the outside with a key, but can be locked from the inside without a key, unless this has been disabled by the positive use of a key from the outside of the lock.
- Window Locks – Having secure window locks both downstairs and upstairs on your property is very important when it comes to deterring burglars from attempting to burgle your home. We can supply, fit and maintain a range of high security window locks for your peace of mind. Contact one of our local Sheffield locksmiths to discuss our window lock solutions.
- UPVC Locks – UPVC Locks can be most vulnerable to attack from burglars if they are not fitted with the correct high security lock. We have found that the vast majority of the population in Sheffield have locks that are not snap-safe fitted to their homes. Check your locks for the British Standards Kitemark to see if your locks are of a high standard or not. We fit all UPVC locks to British Standard TS007 and provide a range of anti-snap, anti-bump and anti-drill locks. Contact your local locksmith Sheffield for a free quotation.
- Garage Door & Outbuilding Locks – Nearly all of us that has a garage or outbuilding stores something valuable in them, such as power tools and bikes, this makes them a target for burglars. Having high security locks on garages and outbuildings is just as important as having high security locks on the doors of our houses. If you are unsure whether your garage or outbuilding locks are of a sufficient standard, contact us to discuss an inspection where we can advise you what the best lock for the job is to use.
With burglaries on the rise in Sheffield it’s important for your peace of mind and for insurance purposes that your property is as secure as can possibly be. Please contact G&M Locksmiths Sheffield to speak to a locksmith about what it is we can do to help you better secure your home and snap-safe and anti-snap lock installation, on 0114 205 5308